Welcome to the best yoga guide for beginners online. Here’s how to use yoga to your advantage for increased flexibility, stability, sports performance, and overall peace of mind. After going through this guide, you should have a good grasp on some of the easier poses in yoga and be well on your way to more advanced ones.
- Stand with your arms at your sides
- Shift your weight onto your left leg and place the sole of your foot inside your left thigh, keeping your hips facing forward
- When balanced, bring your hands in front of you in prayer position, palms coming together.
- On inhalation, extend arms over shoulders, palms separated and facing each other. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Lower and repeat on the opposite side.
Tip: Bring your right foot to the inside of your left ankle, keeping your toes on the floor for balance. As you get stronger and develop better balance, move your foot to the inside of your left calf.
Warrior Pose 2
- Stand with your legs 3-4 feet apart, running your right foot out 90 degrees and left foot in slightly
- Bring your hands to your hips and relax your shoulders, then extend arms out to the sides, palms facing down
- Bend your right knee 90 degrees, keeping knee over ankle; gaze out over your right hand. Stay for 1 minute
- Switch sides and repeat
Extended Mountain Pose
- Stand tall with your feet together.
- Relax the shoulders. Keep weight evenly distributed through your soles and your arms at your sides.
- Take a deep breath and raise your hands over your head, keeping your palms facing each other and your arms straight.
- Reach up toward the sky with your fingertips
- Start on all fours with your hands directly under your shoulders and your knees under your hips
- Walk hands a few inches forward and spread your fingers wide, stressing palms into the mat
- Curl toes under and slowly press hips toward the ceiling, bringing your body into an inverted V, pressing shoulders away from ears.
- Feet should be hip-width apart and your knees slightly bent
- Hold for 3 full breaths, stop, and repeat.
- Lie on the floor with your knees bent and directly over your heels.
- Place arms at your sides and palms down.
- Exhale, then press your feet into the floor as you lift your hips
- Clasp your hands under your lower back and press your arms down, lifting your hips until your thighs are parallel to the floor, bringing your chest toward your chin.
- Hold for 1 minute.
Tip: Place a stack of pillows underneath your tailbone when practicing this pose.
- Get into the downward dog position (palms pressed into the mat, your feet hip-width apart, and walk feet forward until knees touch your arms)
- Bend your elbows, lift heels off the floor, and rest your knees against the outside of your upper arms.
- Keep toes on floor, abs engaged and legs pressed against your arms.
- Hold for 5 to 10 breaths
- sit on floor with legs extended
- cross right foot over outside of left thigh; bend left knee. keep right knee pointed toward ceiling
- place left elbow to the outside of right knee and right hand on the floor behind you
- twist right as far as you can, moving from your abdomen; keep both sides of your butt on the floor. stay for 1 min
- switch sides and repeat
Tip: Keep your bottom leg straight and place both hands on raised knee. If your lower back rounds forward, sit on a folded blanket.
- lie facedown on the floor with thumbs directly under shoulders, legs extended with the tops of your feet on the floor
- tighten your pelvic floor, and tuck hips downward as you squeeze your gluten
- press shoulders down and away from ears
- push through your thumbs and index fingers as you raise your chest toward the wall in front of you
- relax and repeat
- extend arms out to sides, bend over your right leg
- stand with feet about 3 ft apart, toes on your right foot turned out 90 degrees, left foot to 45 degrees
- Allow right hand to touch the floor or rest on your right leg below or above the knee, and extend the fingertips of your left hand toward the ceiling
- turn your gaze toward the ceiling, and hold for 5 breaths
- stand and repeat on opposite side